My Place in The Universe- Accordion Tunnel Book
We've just started Yaseens 'All About Me' lessons and this activity was great for him to get a better grasp on where we are in relation to the universe. It also shows how small we really are compared to the magnificent universe God has created.
It's also a great way to introduce geography to little ones too!
This activity goes on to show our universe, our planet earth, our continent, our country, our state, our city and our home.
- Thick poster paper. I used x5 A4 Black pieces.
- Images of the Universe, Earth, Your Continent, Your Country, Your State, Your City and Your Home.
- Glue Stick
- Pencils (optional)
How to Make:
1. Start by getting your images ready. Either print or draw. I used mainly real images that represent their titles.
2. Place one paper on a flat surface. Starting at one of the short edges, fold the paper like an accordion in approx. 1" increments. I left the last fold to about 1.5" so it becomes sturdier when holding the other papers together. I managed to get 11 folds. Now repeat this step with another paper.
3. Apply glue to the last edge (the widest fold that's approx 1.5") on both papers.
4. Space the 2 folded papers apart. Place an a4 paper, positioned landscape, on top of the glued edges. Press firmly.
You frame should look like this.
5. Glue the universe image on the back sheet.
6. Use the other 2 papers to cut x5 strips (1.5", 2", 2.3", 2.7") width way. Sizes will depend on your preferred layout and height of images. Glue the ends of each strip and stick onto the following fold.
Then glue your next image, Earth, onto the strip.
7. Repeat step 6 gluing each strip on the following folds. On each fold, glue the appropriate image. After Earth is your continent, then country, state, city and home.
Until you have your frame map complete.
We hope you have as much fun making this as we did. Feeling inspired, tag us @brb_raisingkids :)